Haven’t dealt with shots that involve footprints in the snow or walls being splattered with blueberry pies, my jaw hit the floor when I saw this. If you’re quick with the mouse, it takes less than 1 minute to set up.
Here’s the instructions.
… and some examples.
- Painted figures of J.R. Slattum – #art : https://t.co/03qtG2upuJ 2015-11-11
- How Facebook is Stealing Billions of Views from video content creators. https://t.co/IdrCZgq09A 2015-11-10
- Work lying down w/ $5,900 workstation. #chair #ergonomics [via Mo] – https://t.co/2Mh7BGrcbH 2015-11-10
- Master penmanship. #art of #handwriting : https://t.co/uJIne28M7n 2015-11-05
The Lord of the Rings – Extended Edition DVDs have a great section called “The Taming of Smeagol”, where they talk of the process used to create Gollums 3D character. Includes modeling, motion capture, rigging and animation.
If you don’t have the DVDs, these two videos cover much of the material… maybe all… or more! Can’t remember. There’s a bit of overlap between the two linked videos, but if you enjoy one, you’ll find both interesting.
- How close are we to animating without a mouse or keyboard? https://t.co/9g2whHbDYX 2015-10-27
- "Referencing" in Maya is similar to "Linking and Appending" in Blender… but Blender's got consistency. https://t.co/2H8Xb6jqYU 2015-10-27
- The 22 rules of storytelling, according to Pixar – https://t.co/PgMVeVIwfC 2015-10-26
- "Are you sure? [Y/n]" prompt now implemented in my Linux shell script. Made a boo boo, but never again. #bash 4.x https://t.co/sMVC9EiZVp 2015-10-24
- Animated maps of winds, dust, pollution and ocean currents of the earth via [Mr Baldwin. #weather : https://t.co/2QerrZqFIF 2015-10-23
- Animation exercises shared during this morning's webinar. #character : https://t.co/CJGaZEOuj6 2015-10-20
- Alex Grey summarizes his life's work in a TEDx talk, describing many of his pieces. https://t.co/NalaUnjyFL 2015-10-18
- I've been feeling the same way. https://t.co/SqYoaWsqtZ 2015-10-17
- Artist of many Pink Floyd album covers… and then some. Storm Thorgerson 1944-2013 : http://t.co/ga7PyA3mpg 2015-10-15
Story of Anna Breytenbach, tracker & animal communicator.
Took my time with this one to avoid frustration. I started rushing a few times and quickly realized that there’s no UNDO button this 3D model. Some pieces ended up breaking off and, fortunately, you’ll have to really look to notice them.
In the end, I’m happy I stuck with it as it’s a pretty slick little chunk of metal.
He’s even got a little wind-up bot buddy to chill with.
If you want your own R2-D2 Earth Metal buddy, you can get em online.
It was only a matter of time before I started my journey into scripting in Blender. Learning MEL (Maya’s Embedded Language) was one of the most powerful things any Maya 3D artist can do. When it came go giving advice to students that were looking to break into the industry, learning scripting was the piece of advice that I could dish out with confidence. Even if you only learn a handful of functions, you can perform (what seem like) miracles. Spend a day going through a set of introductory tutorials on scripting (Intro to Python in Blender, perhaps) and you’ll feel what I’m laying down here.
My time with MEL has lapsed and now I’m in Blender. There is a confidence that I am experiencing, knowing that I am moving in the right direction. Putting energy into a language (python) and animation software (Blender) that will never be taken away (till an EMP takes out all electronics).
Blender 3D: Noob to Pro – Advanced Tutorials – Introduction – I am guilty of having not spent as much time in the Noob to Pro series as I should. I guess I get a bit sucked into videos sometimes, too often forgetting the speed and efficiency of text + images. This series is quick n dirty.
Blender 3D: Blending Into Python – Includes optimization guide, cookbook, APC, quickstart, reference, etc
Blender Cookie – Python + Blender – On this Youtube channel, this crew has demonstrated an ability to create quality video tutorials.
Blender.org – API documentation – There’s also a link to download the contents in a ZIP file, for localized reference.
Nathan Miller’s Blender Python Notebook – The Proving Ground – Procedurally built architecture? Includes sections on mesh definition, modifieers, math mesh, random mesh and “supershape 3D”? Looks like a blast!
- Galaxies within eyes within galaxies: #sight – http://t.co/IOTTs3jYEx 2015-10-07
- the world's greenest office building: The Edge – #water #solar #sustainable http://t.co/zYiDbzkxGq 2015-10-07
- Persistence of vision w/ SmarterEveryDay and sensing the color differences. #eyes #sight #LED : https://t.co/jfkwH1gDOt 2015-10-05
- Slime mould networks build Tokyo: https://t.co/AY6AQUUpeT 2015-10-03
- 5 healthy video games for kids. #build #Minecraft [via Mo]: https://t.co/Zssk74FI7z 2015-10-01
- Collection of 25 painted optical illusions by Canadian Robert Gonsalves. [thx Mo] : http://t.co/mIehD74bcZ 2015-09-30
- Blind sight gives new meaning to following your heart. [thx Ryan] : http://t.co/5ofOcvfKrc 2015-09-29
- Spinning and dancing within a large metal ring. #hoop
- Extreme close-ups of the human eye. #collection : http://t.co/fahklnCMIt 2015-09-25
- I was just wondering about this kind of thing yesterday.There's a rigger here who's interested in testing this!!! https://t.co/dGMToTzQWP 2015-09-25
- Animation synced with animation. Target = Cyberwarfare : [via @Android_Jones] : https://t.co/9RpYaZEoJN 2015-09-24
- Artist Dustin Yellin walks us through his transparent boxes of art. #TEDtalk https://t.co/xdlnONKMQX 2015-09-20
- She breathes!!! R-Evolution at Burning Man. Via Marco Cochrane, also the creator of Bliss Dance. #timelapse https://t.co/zDWd1LiqZo 2015-09-18
- fdupes for finding duplicate files on Linux? Yes, and thanks for making it simple. 2015-09-17
Blender has a new version out, and the thing that first caught my eye was the image below.
The ability to smooth bone weight influences… smoothly (without using a paintbrush).
When I started learning Blender’s rigging tools, I noticed the lack of a proper workflow for smoothing skinning weights. I spent days trying to replicate a workflow that I have relied on for years in another software. DAYS. I even preparing a plan and was setting aside time to build a tool to handle this… but then… BAM! Here we go.
This is not the first time this Blender has read my mind.
*10 minutes later*
Installed and tested this on Ubuntu. Works!!!
I was so excited to see this feature added to Blender, I nearly put this as my Facebook Cover Photo. Hey! Don’t look at me like that.
Workflow is everything. Key word being “flow”. Flow is a difficult state to reach when doing something as technical as rigging and skinning is a process that most everyone hates, even riggers. I’m one of the few that enjoyed the process as was able to get to a nice zen state and just… well… flow!
I’m a big dork. Where’s my badge?
This is also not the only impressive improvement in the newest release. Checkout the list of new features here.
CGCookie just released a short video demonstrating this new skinning feature, along with the Mesh Data Transfer tool, which simplifies the process of transferring skinning weights.
- Really digging this "…Getting Things Done…" infographic for artists by @gleb_alexandrov : http://t.co/SjjVhcBQI0 2015-09-14
- Project Soli takes motion capture to the next level. Smaller and extremely sensitive. https://t.co/rXdQOY1QYd 2015-09-14
- Dr Joe Dispenza's TEDx talk on making your mind via metacognition. Brain responding to pleasure or stress. https://t.co/1SZxJyubsy 2015-09-11
- Fortunately I've got the behaviour programmed in… but for those that haven't yet… https://t.co/l2TwQqqByt 2015-09-09
- Detroit graffiti, including the mural on El Asador : http://t.co/NRwpRzl86E 2015-09-05
- Mental disorders and illnesses illustrated as little monsters, by Toby Allen : http://t.co/Gus3ntJB1r 2015-09-04
- An experimental build for @unity3d on Linux is ready. http://t.co/eJYR0d3iyd 2015-09-03
- Architecture of radio visualization for the iPad. https://t.co/ejcVXERgNY 2015-09-03